Arena of Teatro Sociale
The Arena of Teatro Sociale was used for outdoor performances until the sixties; later closed and became a parking. For the occasion of 200th anniversary of the Theater, in 2010 work began on the restoration and recovery of Arena. Behind the scenes there was the fly tower, made in the thirties by engineer Carlo Poncia, to accommodate outdoor performances, but became a ruin due to neglect.
After the demolition of the fly tower, today we can admire in all its splendor the rear facade, designed and built by architect Luigi Canonica, which is dedicated the Hall Canonica.
Teatro Sociale di Como
It was founded in 1813, the same year of Giuseppe Verdi and Richard Wagner’s birth. Built from the ruins of a XII century castle, the building of the theatre started in 1811 and the architect Giuseppe Cusi drew the project. On the night of the 28th August 1813 the curtain of Teatro Sociale of Como raised for the first time: on stage Adriano in Siria of Antonio Fonseca Portugal and I Pretendenti delusi of Giuseppe Mosca. Many restoration works were made after: in 1855 extensions, in 1864 gas, 1899 electricity. In 1855, the architect Leopoldo Raspini enlarged the theatre with 38 boxes. To build the fifth gallery, the loggione, the theatre was raised and the original 1813 vault destroyed: it had been made by Alessandro Fiori and represented the incoronation of Vittorio Alfieri. Actually, the auditorium is U-shaped with 5 floors, consisting of 72 private boxes, the Royal box and 2 galleries. In 2005, Società dei Palchettisti together with As.Li.Co., Regione Lombardia, Comune and Provincia di Como, restored the theatre, including the vault, the stage and the seats in the parterre.
Saint Abbondio Cloister
Via Regina Teodolinda, 35
The building complex is one of the best examples of Romanic Lombard architecture of the region. It was reopened in 2007 with a concert of Orchestra 1813 after eight-years restoration. At present, it holds the Faculty of Jurisprudence, University of Insubria.
Via per Cernobbio, 11
Originally called ‘Castellazzo’, Villa Grumello looks at the lake with its park: with its secular plants, it has a sweet atmosphere and a great harmony. Built during the XV century, it was before owned by the Odescalchi family, after by the Giovio’s and finally by the Celesta’s. Among the others, Giordani, Monti, Volta and Foscolo have been entertained in this wonderful venue. Villa Grumello has been recently restored and today has returned to its ancient beauty: it is occasionally used for conventions, courses and business meetings.
Via Giancarlo Puecher
It was designed in 1933 by Giuseppe Terragni and his brother Attilio Terragni, inspired by a sketch of the Tower-lighthouse of the futurist architect from Como Antonio Sant’Elia.
It is a tower, 33-metre-high, that preserves in its memorial a granite monolith with 750 names of people from Como died during the First and the Second World War. The visitor, after going up the 140 steps, which lead from the crypt to the higher terrace, can enjoy a beautiful sight of the town.
Via Castel Baradello, 22
You can admire the medieval tower, built on the top of Baradello Hill, from all over Como, but also if coming down from Northern Lumbardy. From the top of the tower, you can enjoy one of the most beautiful views of Como and its lake. The tower, so called of ‘Barbarossa’, built in Romanesque style, was restored and modified in different periods, finally reaching the imposing height of 28 metres.